Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Has Reading Got Talent?

For the sixth year (since the contest started), I was at Reading's Broad Street Mall with my camcorder filming "Has Reading Got Talent 2013" last weekend.

My job is to record snippets (50 seconds) of each of the 70 - 80 or so quarter finalists acts, a little more of the 40+ semi finalists acts and all of the ten finalists acts. This normally means two full days sat/stood in front of the stage on the Saturday and Sunday...but that's the easy part!

Because the camcorder I use for the talent contest uses DV tape, if I record eight hours of footage that's exactly the time it takes to move it from tape onto my computer ready to edit. Then it takes approximately an hour per half hour of footage to create a first edit, and double that to arrive at a reasonably finished project.

Once the encoding starts, I can add on another day before the footage, in web or DVD format, is ready to go out.

Needless to say I make a huge loss on the talent show each year. The shopping centre simply doesn't have the budget to pay me what the time and effort demands - yet I really don't care!

I enjoy doing it, despite moaning about standing or sitting about all day, despite the job jamming up two computers for almost a week afterwards...

I've worked for Broad Street Mall for over a decade, running their website, filming their events and producing the odd piece of artwork. I like the people and I like being involved.

The centre manager, Steve Fawke, will be leaving soon for pastures new and I for one will be sad to see him go. Having sweated over this years talent show filming and editing I hope the new centre manager chooses to continue with the show and to use my services...

...although I will make one concession, next year I will use my super huge professional camcorder that records onto CF cards.

No comments: